Thursday, October 10, 2013

Avoiding Digital Damnation

 
"But it was only a facebook posting!"
   As teachers, it is critical that we teach our students how to leverage the power of the web to create, cultivate, and curate positive digital footprints in and out of the classroom; moreover, as mentors and role models, we need to do the same. We need to put into action best practices, wise pedagogy, and a well-rounded understanding of the implications, promises, and potential to show thoughtful leadership and take control and realize the dynamic and transformative possibilities of our presence not the web.

     Someone is not just looking for you; they are searching for you, and you are only one one casual wtf, questionable photo, or stupid posting away from your judgement, and hence your character, being questioned by an admissions committee, potential boss, or anyone else casually (or intently) searching your name on the web—and it is going to happen! The irony here is that the only thing worse than a questionable digital presence is no presence at all. While there is some nobility in being off the grid, there may also be precious little else to set your particular genius and passion apart from the masses that are arrayed beside, before and behind you. 



     We must teach our students how to leverage the power of the web to create positive digital footprints. We need to put into action best practices and wise pedagogy, to show thoughtful leadership and an understanding of the pitfalls promises, and potential of digital classrooms by taking control of our digital footprints and harnessing the transformative possibilities of an engaging, and forward-thinking digital curriculum. 

     I have learned from ten years of blogging with young teenagers that it is possible to transform a generation of teenage students into eager, confident, and capable writers and readers. I have seen and experienced how a blog-based curriculum works on a practical and philosophical level to create amazing writing pieces, polished and informative podcasts, rich discussions, and insightful video essays; I have witnessed countless students digging deeply into the repertoire of their memories and writing profoundly and passionately about the uniqueness of their lives, and I have seen how students can use blogging platforms and social media to avoid digital damnation by creating and curating an informed, powerful, positive digital footprint in a connected world. 

     We can't should not avoid the straits of Skylla. We should sail boldly into through the belly of the beast.

7 comments:

  1. Leaving a footprint that people can remember me by is a huge goal in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your point on bad digital footprints, though I honestly wish someone had told this to me in sixth grade, not eighth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. I also agree with Teddy that I wish someone had told this to me in 6th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what you are saying is really making a lot of sense to me, and I like how everything you say is really speaking from experience, an your clear profound passion to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you Fitz. Nowadays, most people just use Twitter, or Facebook, to communicate on the web. I think blogging is our last resort to truly communicating and sharing our thoughts on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you talk about having a good digital footprint because everyone else tells me not to have one at all but your plan makes so much more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before now, I tried to make no digital footprint. Now I will try for a good one, primarily with my blog.

    ReplyDelete